Tuesday, November 2, 2010


Becky thought it would be a fantastic idea for me to write this entry. I am not quite sure why she thought that would be a good idea, but it means I can take a break from all of the packing and organizing. Sold. So, rather than entertain you with our packing stories, I think it would be beneficial to enlighten you with stories of Korea.

Many, many years ago, a child was born on a mountain, and defeated a Tyrannosaurus rex in a fight to the death. This child, naturally, was none other than the world famous action star Kim Jong-il! (Please note that I did not photograph our Kim Jong-il - rather, I obtained this via a satellite image, I think). You may know all about our hero's world-class golf skills - according to the World Tribune, our hero shot a 38 under par on his first golf outing, and "routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round"! I digress...

Becky and I will be headed to Korea to assist Kim Jong-il in training the Korean troops to become Americans. Through proper disguise and the correct language abilities, the Korean troops will be able to infiltrate any part of the world with ease - and assisting them is our mission. I have also been requisitioned to assist in producing and directing a North Korean edition of Top Gun, which has been given the working title Top Gun-il. Naturally, our hero Kim Jong-il will play the protagonist Maverick, I will play the role of Goose, and Val Kilmer is set to reprise his role as Iceman. Meg Ryan has also committed to make a cameo appearance as Goose's wife.

And then I woke up...

But in all seriousness, most of that is not true. If we were moving to North Korea, I am quite sure all of those events would unfold, including Meg Ryan and Tom Sizemore making cameo appearances in Top Gun-il. Alas, that probably will not happen, because we are moving to a part of South Korea that is quite far south from North Korea. the lucky city? Mokpo, a town of roughly 250,000 people (+ 2).

We will be spending the next twelve months teeching South Korean children too lern goode inglish, or something. Our classes run after school for the children - 3:40pm to 9:40pm. This will give us the opportunity to sleep in a little, explore/run errands during the day and then head to class. Plus, we'll be able to talk to you easier this way - 8pm central is 10am Korean time, so we can wake up, have breakfast and have a chit-chat as you unwind from your long day.

But honestly, the only reason I am going to Mokpo is to visit the Mokpo Natural History Museum (but don't tell that to Becky!)



No comments:

Post a Comment